1.09.2017

Gimme all the Brussel Sprouts!

I may be an outlier, but my affinity for brussels sprouts may be off the charts. Really! I promise you, I could eat a bag of them by myself. This recipe was a great way to jazz them up and try out something I have never cooked with before...shallots. Look like a large garlic bulb, but burn your eyes like an onion.

I found this recipe on Pinterest. [If you aren't following me, you can find me at haley_marozas]. It looked easy enough, and I had almost all of the ingredients in my pantry/fridge. Let's get on with it shall we?


Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Mustard Sauce & Charred Shallots

Ingredients
  • 20 brussels sprouts
  • 4 tsp olive oil
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
  • 2 TBS stone ground/whole grain mustard
  • 2 tsp honey
  • 2 TBS water
  • 2 shallots
Directions
  1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
  2. You will need to slice the bottom of your brussels sprouts off and then cut in half.
  3. Spread them all out on a baking pan and toss them with 3tsp of olive oil. I used EVOO. Also add in your garlic powder and some salt (I prefer sea salt) and pepper to taste. 
  4. Roast them for 15 minutes. Pull them out and toss them around some more and add back in to your oven for another 5 minutes or until goldeny brown.
  5. Char your shallots. You will need to slice them thin and add to a frying pan with the remaining 1tsp of olive oil. This will take about 10-15 minutes to get a charred/golden brown look to them.
  6. Remove the shallots.
  7. Using the same pan, add your vinegar, mustard and water. Bring them to a boil over medium heat. 
  8. Let it simmer for about 3 minutes until it reduces and thickens up. Once reduced/thickened, add in your honey and stir. 
  9. Pull those sprouts out the oven, throw in the charred shallots and add your sauce and mix well. 
  10. VOILA!
 I actually doubled the sauce so we could have it to drizzle over our chicken. This was a healthy but flavorful meal and very easy. What way do you like to serve up your your brussels sprouts?

No comments :

Blog Design by Get Polished